Friday 22 March 2019

Autumn Equinox 2019

Yesterday was the Autumn Equinox.  I haven't really done much to celebrate it over the last few years as it's quite a busy time for me.  As it is a harvest festival, I'm usually flat out preserving my crop to keep it over the next year.  This year hasn't really been too different, although my garden has been mostly neglected during our horrendously hot and oppressive summer.  I'm well known amongst friends and family for this, so I am also often the recipient of their overflows and have been given a lot of fruit to work my magic on.

This year however, the Equinox fell almost a week after the shootings in Christchurch.  A far right, fascist, anti-immigration lunatic shot up two mosques killing 50 Muslims at prayer and wounding 50 more.

His hateful reaping however, harvested something truly amazing.  The outpouring of love from Christchurch people, from New Zealanders and from the rest of the world has been awe-inspiring and overwhelming.

Anyone who knows me, knows that I am a contrary person.  I am naive and always wanting to believe the best of people while also being a cynical old bitch.  So while I hoped for a positive response, I expected the opposite.  So the response from people everywhere has left me hiding away from people while I cry often.  Those tears aren't fear or an inability to cope with my city being changed again and while there's still sadness for the tragedy, mostly my tears are about people being better than I'd given them credit for.

I'm in awe at the messages of love and support. I'm in awe of the strength of our Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern and her grace in handling this.  I'm in awe of the opposition parties in our Government pulling their heads in and supporting our PM.  I'm in awe of the actions ordinary people are taking the world over because of this event.  I have never seen the goodness in people shine through on such a massive scale and I don't know how to adjust to it.  I am in awe of the constant vigils, the markers of respect and support (I think our florists nationwide have run out of flowers repeatedly) and the turnout of people attending these events.  I am in awe of our gangs, previously violent rivals, coming together, putting their differences aside to stand in support of the Muslim community. I am in awe of our Police force and emergency services for their hard work and incredible strength.

So this year, my Autumn Equinox celebration is one of genuine thanksgiving and gratitude.

I am grateful that I was wrong about people in general and give thanks that I was wrong.
I am grateful that I live in a place where this is how we react to things like this.
I am guiltily thankful that my family were safe although I can't say that anyone is unaffected by it.
I am grateful that for the most part, this has caused a huge shift in what ordinary people will and won't tolerate with regards to casual racism and hate speech.
I am grateful that our Government has used common sense in tightening up gun laws and gun licensing and done it quickly.
I am grateful that as a nation, we're being held up as a beacon of sense and respect by the rest of the world.

I am grateful.

Blessings




Debbie

No comments:

Post a Comment